This article provides some best practice tips and tricks on making changes to your classes schedule if:
- you make any changes to your schedule each block / term or
- you start your schedule from scratch each block / term / season.
You do not need to wait until your to make these changes. If you are careful with your dates and follow these instructions, you can make your changes for the following block / term at any time.
Any changes that you make to an existing class will take effect immediately. If you are wanting to change an existing class to a different level / time / teacher etc from your next period of lessons, then you will need to:
- END the enrolments for the date immediately after their last lesson
- EDIT the class to change the END DATE to the date immediately after the last lesson for the current block, and
- CREATE a NEW CLASS starting from the first date in your next block.
Remember, your Classes screen shows your weekly schedule. You Attendance screen shows your attendances on any particular date (attendances will only populate if you have invoiced for those dates). Your Public Holidays and Do Not Bill Periods entered in Configuration prior to billing will block those dates from being invoiced and will appear blank on your Attendances screen).
If you have a perpetual schedule and only want to make some minor adjustments to classes (e.g. change of teacher), refer to this article: Editing a Class.
Making Changes to your Classes Schedule for your next block / term
For each current class with enrolments that you need to change for the next block / term, you will need to:
Step 1 - end any current enrolments in the class for the date immediately after their last lesson date in this class.
You need to do this from the Student's screen. Click on "End enrolment" next to the pertinent enrolment.
Put in an end date for the date after their last lesson date in the class (you don't need to fill out the exiting section if the student is not exiting the centre) and complete the ending of enrolment. The enrolment will still sit under the "Current Enrolments" of the student until the end date has passed.
Example: The last lesson date for this class is 28/03/2024. You would end the enrolment for 29/03/2024.
- If there are lessons left to credit back, leave the boxes ticked.
- If you have not yet run your invoicing for the next block, you will still need to click continue through all of the 'end enrolment' screens until you are automatically brought back to the Student screen. (For example, If there is blank screen to 'Credit unused classes' you still need to click 'Continue' on this screen to correctly end the enrolment and to automatically be brought back to the student's screen.)
- You will need to end any enrolments in the class before you can change the end date of the class.
Step 2 - edit the class to have a 'Last Class End Date' of the end of the current block / term.
To do this, click on the name of the class either from the Classes or Attendance screen.
Then click 'Edit Class' in either the top or middle bar of the Class Information Screen. Note in the screenshot example below there are no current or Future Dated Enrolments however you may have enrolments with an end date of the date immediately after the last class date. Check your end dates for enrolments are all correct (the date immediately after the last class date).
Click on the Calendar picker for the 'Last Class End Date'. (If you cannot see this, make sure you are using Chrome as your web browser. You can manually enter the date as an alternative).
First click on the Month Year at the top of the calendar picker to change the year.
Scroll and click on the year you need to select.
Then select your Month.
Make sure the date is correct (it should be the date immediately after the last class date) and then 'Save / Update'.
You can go to your Classes schedule to see that class will no longer appear on your schedule past the end date.
- Note 1: you will not be able to end the class if there are any enrolments in the class past the end date you have entered for the class. This is why you need to end any enrolments for the class first.
- Note 2: It is best practice to end a class and create a new class for the following term if you are making substantial changes (e.g. change of time/level). This is to preserve your history.
- Note 3: You are unable to delete a class if it has ever had enrolments in it. This is to preserve your history.
Step 3 - create a new class from your Classes screen.
Make the start date as the first date of the class in the new block / term / season.
Step 4 - add your enrolments into the new class (if any). You can do this as per normal either from the student screen or from the Class Information Screen for that particular class. You only need to put a hold spot on these enrolments if they are not starting from the first lesson date of the new class (the new class start date).
The current and future-dated enrolments will show on the student like the below:
indicates current ongoing enrolment
indicates future dated enrolment
Repeat the above steps for each class you need to change / end / create.
Starting from scratch each term / each season
If you know with absolute certainty that you are going to start from a completely clean slate each term / each season, when you do your initial setup each term you can create your classes and enrolments with an end date of the date immediately after the last class date of the term / season. Your classes and enrolments will then only show up until this date.
The pitfalls of this can be if there is some kind of extension to your term / season. If there is, you would need to edit the end date of all your classes to extend them, however end dates to enrolments cannot be edited and you would need to add in additional enrolments to applicable students to enrol them in the extra dates.
If you leave all classes and enrolments as ongoing when you do your setup (that is, leaving the default end date), you will need to end all enrolments and all classes for the end of the term as described above.
Alternatively, you can contact Support and request that this be done in bulk - please specify an end date for all enrolments and classes.
- Note: Without a current enrolment, the status of all students and families will be Inactive. If you need to send out any bulk communication campaigns before you have setup your new schedule, you will need to add in a condition "last enrolment ended" to capture your most recent enrolments.
Once your enrolments and classes schedule have been ended, you can begin the process of rebuilding your schedule and enrolling students.
Last updated 06 February 2024
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article